.jpg)
Stardust Hotel and Casino - December 2nd & 3rd, 2006.
.jpg)
I felt very sad that I wasn't able to go into the Stardust, but at least I had seen the inside on "Saved By The Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas" and I was able to see the building in person, before it came down.
When I was preparing to go back in March, I was talking to someone that has been there before and he said that he had heard that the Stardust DIDN'T come down on New Year's... I figured I would see for myself.
Our flight from Denver was delayed, so we got into Vegas late. In the cab, we decided that we were going to check in, hit the sheets and start fresh the next day. It was already midnight Vegas time, so 3 AM our time. At the hotel, the man checking us in informed us that at around 2 AM, we would hear a large "BOOM" sound as the Stardust was being imploded. That night. As I was standing on Vegas soil. Instantly, I was no longer tired and couldn't get my bags in the room fast enough and get myself to the Stardust.
The other girls were just as excited and we quickly headed down the strip. There were already a lot of people milling about and getting the "best" spot. As we were doing the same, we came across 2 older ladies. They were wearing Stardust jackets and said that they were a couple of the original cocktail waitresses that worked at the Stardust when it first opened! I was in such awe, that I FORGOT to take a picture of them. I am still kicking myself for that one!
We set ourselves up directly across the street from the Stardust and waited. And waited. And waited. At about 2:15 am (5:15 am Ontario time), a few fireworks went off. The excitement in the air was indescribable.
I was able to catch the next sequence of events on camera. This is what the Stardust imploding looked like through my eyes.
Stardust Hotel and Casino - March 12th, 2007.
Fireworks leading up to the main event.
Fireworks went off all through the building.
Just seconds away now. The crowd was cheering, some through tears.
The Official Countdown was in the centre of the Stardust.

The building was actually coming down. These pictures aren't bright enough. And they don't do the moment justice.

The cloud of smoke was all that was left.
Walking back to the hotel. Can you believe that we were in the opposite direction of which the wind was travelling. There was so much dust!
Stardust Hotel and Casino - March 13th, 2007.
Peace Out Peeps!
No comments:
Post a Comment